1) My favorite cat, Tubby, has been having seizures. We didn’t know that some of the odd symptoms we’d seen before were seizures, but now we know. Last night he had a full-on seizure. It only lasted a minute (as in 60 seconds from start to finish), but it was “classic” in the sense that he was convulsing, lost bladder control and was drooling like crazy. He is 6 years old. He is THE BEST cat ever. I’m really afraid to take him to the vet to see what is actually going on. I don’t want to find out he’s dying. (he had another at 4 this morning. *sigh*)
After loads of bloodwork and a thorough physical exam, it appears that Tubby simply has epilepsy. He does not have FLV, heartworms, rabies, etc. His CBC came back normal. Well, at first they worried about his platelets, but apparently he has BIG platelets, so the machine was not able to count them properly. The vet did a blood smear and saw plenty of large platelets.
The course of treatment is phenobarbital twice a day to control the seizures. He’ll have his blood checked in 3 weeks to see what his phenobarbital level is. If he has another seizure, I’ll call and let them know (and they may adjust his meds.) He’ll have to have regular blood tests to check his liver function, but he should be fine.
I will ask her to repeat the platelet count, though, since that could be serious. I just want to make sure, so…
2) It is getting cooler. It’s very nice. It’s pretty much right on time. We usually turn our A/C off right around Thanksgiving. (It’s just 28 days until Thanksgiving!)
3) Neither of our boys (nor our daughter-in-law, nor our granddaughter) will be home for Thanksgiving this year. *sigh*
4) The empty house on our street finally sold. The family that has moved in is a homeschooling family with 3 girls ages 8, 12, and 14. We have 12 and 14 year old girls! :) The family that lives right next to them has an 8 year old homeschooling girl. They seem so nice. The kids are slowly getting to know each other. Now we need a 5 year old boy to move in nearby.
5) Trick or treating is tomorrow. We were invited to go trick or treating in a friend’s neighborhood and to a potluck afterward. I just don’t know if I’m up to going. We went last year (it was also a promotion party) and it was fun. With the Tubby-Cat stuff going on, I just don’t know if I’m in a festive mood. I guess I’ll have to see how important it is to the kids (well, one kid, actually) and what the vet has to say today.
6) Tuesday is election day. I hope that there is some positive change from what there is now. You (fellow Americans) ARE going to vote, right?
7) Today is my bestest friend’s birthday! Happy birthday, Cathy! We love you!!!
It is also my brother’s birthday, a couple from our homeschooling group are celebrating their birthdays today (yes, both of them), a child we know also has a birthday…. This is a popular day! Happy birthday to you all!